Suburb Profiles

Mittagong

Suburb Profile

Mittagong

The original name for Mittagong was “New Sheffield”, however the Aboriginal name meaning “Little Mountain” was later retained. The first European settler in the district was William Chalker, a former convict transported from England, who arrived in the area on 10 May, 1821. He became the Principal Overseer of Government Stock, Chief Constable and Pound keeper in the Cowpastures. A memorial plaque to Chalker was unveiled in May 1988 as a Bicentennial project. It is widely known that some of his descendants still live in the Mittagong/Bowral area.

 

Known as the gateway to the Southern Highlands, Mittagong is approximately 130km from Sydney. The town’s character-filled main street retains its quaintness and heritage, with many beautiful stone buildings, plus a wide array of retailers and many antique shops, cafes and restaurants. Mittagong is also home to several large chain stores such as Big W, Woolworths, Bunnings, Aldi, McDonalds plus a growing range of other national stores.

Besides great shopping options, Mittagong has become the gourmet food centre of the Highlands, with eateries including Indian, Thai, Italian and Modern Australian.

Notably, Mittagong is close to many of the Southern Highland's wineries and cellar doors. The wineries have established themselves in the region since the 1980s due to the soil and climate of Mittagong, which is believed to be perfect for viticulture.

 

As well as the various wineries, tourists can visit Mount Gibraltar, Lake Alexandra and one of the first iron mining sites in Australia. 

Mittagong is home to prestigious private boarding girls high school, Frencham School, which was opened by Winifred Mary West in 1913. The school is notable for its alumni which include Dr Catherine Hamlin and former Lord Mayor of Sydney, Lucy Turnbull.

 

At the 2011 census, Mittagong had a population of 5,722 people, however in more recent years, we estimate that number has grown to around 10,000.