Tips for problem-free renting
- The first thing you should do before you sign a lease, is read it thoroughly. If there is anything you don’t understand don’ be afraid to ask.
- Remember you are committing to a legally binding contract for which there is no cooling off period.
- You will be given a copy of the condition report upon moving into the premises. You will need to check through it and make sure you agree with what is written and then return it to our office within 7 days. You will be given a copy to keep.
- To further protect yourself you can take photos (with a date stamp) of areas that are particularly damaged, unclean or of a concern to you.
- Remember to always keep a copy of your lease, condition report, rent receipts etc. and make notes of any correspondence or phone calls you have with regard to your tenancy. Make sure all requests for repairs are in writing. A Maintenance Request Form can be found on our website.
- Never stop paying your rent! even if the landlord is not complying with their side of the agreement, i.e. failing to carry out repairs. You could end up being evicted if you do.
- Always comply with the terms of your lease, i.e. do not make alterations, keep a pet or let other people move in without asking us first.
- Take out home contents insurance, as the landlord’s building insurance will not cover your belongings.
- If the property has a pool or garden make sure you know what your responsibilities are with regard to maintaining it.
If you would like any clarification regarding your tenancy, go to the Fair Trading website www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au or call them on 13 32 20